It's one thing to intuitively know that there's a better way, it's something totally different to give people what they need so they can get on board with it. That's why we've developed this parents toolkit, it's full of facts, figures, documents, and references that can be used to show others why this important legislation is so necessary.
In 54 studies performed over the past 40 years, not a single negative result has been found about shared custody parenting. In all examples, shared custody parenting produced no change in benefit or introduced positive benefit in every single category measured.
Notable Highlights / Incredible Facts
- Infants and toddlers are 80% less likely to feel abandoned by a parent later in life in a shared custody environment.
- Children between the ages of 0 and 4 showed positive benefit when each parent had at least 35% visitation.
- Traditional sole-parent custodial arrangement create feelings of paternal abandonment in 83 out of every 100 children.
- Repeated, extended absences lasting 6 days or longer created parental estrangement within 1-2 years.
- No benefits were found when mothers spent more than 65% of available time with their children.
- Primary care, which includes face to face interaction, is the only type of care that children ascribe to being a "present parent". Secondary methods such as phone calls, FaceTime, text messaging, and sports team monitoring are not considered meaningful parenting.
- Having two parents equally parent doubles a child's chances for being emotionally, physically, academically, and relationally successful. Traditional single parent custody arrangements increase the risk of development issues by 50%.
- Shared parenting and the benefits of shared parenting are achieved regardless of the personal relationship between both parents
- 90% of all parents agree that after one year shared custody produced significant benefits for themselves and their children.
- Shared parenting, by eliminating inequity and litigation, reduces the chances of conflict between parents by 80%
- Shared parenting improves the relationship between parents
-Shared parenting improves affection towards the mother AND father by equal amounts
Research and Studies
The downloads below demonstrate the abuses of the family court system and provide data on over 110 separate studies supporting shared custody. In total, over 250,000 children and 80,000 families are statistically represented.
Statistics on system abuse
Michigan Shared Custody Act
Media and Links